Friday, 3 April 2015

Wycombe Reaction- Noisy Neighbours Spoil The Party

A terrific performance from Oxford United lifts them closer to safety and puts a massive dent in Wycombe Wanderers' promotion bid. 

Never mind Good Friday it was a marvellous Friday for Oxford United at Adams Park this afternoon. One of the best performances I have seen from an Oxford team in years. We played some really excellent stuff, it wasn't a scrappy win we played very well and thoroughly deserved it. 

I thought Danny Rose played his best game in a yellow shirt as well. He did not stop running all game and got himself in great positions time and time again. I'm not forgetting to mention his superb finish for the second goal as well. It has been a mad couple of weeks for Danny, forgotten man to Oxford hero. Kemar Roofe was outstanding as well. I thought he looked very average in the previous games but definitely looks like he has found his feet after two good displays. An excellent cross for Hoban against Carlisle and a vintage performance today caps off a great two weeks for the West Brom loanee. Danny Hylton looked like he returned to his early season form as well. He needs a goal to get the confidence back but he didn't stop running today. He always puts blood, sweat and tears into every game, doesn't matter if it is a pre-season friendly or a cup final he will never fail to give 100% and that's what I love about him.

Although I think we can do better than Patrick Hoban up front I am relieved that he has started to improve in the last couple of games. However I do maintain that pace is very important in this league and Patrick Hoban has a severe lack of that. If he had a yard more pace then I think he would be a decent League Two striker but he just isn't quick enough for me. I have to admit though he has offered some good hold up play in the last two games and hopefully he can kick on now and get a few more goals for us.

I would also like to talk about how disappointing Wycombe were. I thought they looked like a non-league team playing non-league football. Every opportunity they got they would pump the ball into the box and try to put Clarke under pressure. If a neutral fan watched that game and was told that one team was near the top and the other near the bottom, I'm sure he would be convinced that Wycombe were the bottom side. They didn't seem to have the same organisation that I saw from them when we played them earlier in the season.

I feel confident that we can stay in the league now. If we win on Monday then we can relax, put our feet up and start to think about next season. York won't be an easy game by any stretch of the imagination as they have picked up in recent games and have started to drag themselves away from danger. Russ Wilcox is a very good manager and will come to the Kassam with a plan and we should be wary of that. However if the Oxford fans can give the same support they did today we can cheer the players to victory.